Friday, August 29, 2008

Drive Safely!

Saw a gnarly accident this morning. Shane was taking me to pick up my car from the shop, just after 9:00. Traffic wasn't too heavy and we were just riding along on the freeway, discussing McCain's odd choice of running mate when I saw a pickup truck about 4 cars in front of us swerve. I said, "look out!" and next thing I knew, a white SUV was in a full spin-out, doing at least one full 360 before slamming into ??? and finally coming to a stop. I'm not real clear about what it actually hit because I was halfway covering my eyes and screaming, "holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit." Shane reached over and held my arm and told me to calm down, I was all shaking and a little bit crying. It was intense. It seemed like the car blew up almost, glass and debris flying everywhere. The Freeway Assistance vehicle and a couple motorcycle cops were there immediately, I think they were working an accident just up the road. It probably took 15 minutes or so for the ambulance and firetrucks. The driver seemed to be ok, and that's because the only part of the SUV not demolished was the front left side. As we drove past the wreckage (after I had given a written statement) we could see that the entire right side of the car was gone. GONE, opened up like a freakin' sardine can. If anyone else had been in that car, they would have been toast. I seriously do not think I could have handled seeing bodies flying like the misc. car parts. It's so trippy, that false sense of security you have inside your vehicle. Scary.


***
Moving on: got my pictures back finally. The cool thing about using film is the surprise factor, not knowing exactly what will be in that envelope - especially if you have kids that don't understand the meaning of "don't touch my camera."


This shot cracks me up. She looks like some barfly at a jazz club.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice beatnik cat ya got there.

Glad you weren't in the wreck.

I'm trying to track down the identity of someone named Dick McBush. He left a comment on my blog. Know anything of this?

Linda said...

Wow! That is SCARY! I'm so glad you guys are ok. When things like that happen it really puts everything else in the proper perspecive right. Love that cat pic!

 

by the way | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates